* Originally published in The Lance, August 1st, 2018 *
Summer is in full swing! For many, summer is a time to spend at the beach or at the many great festivals and events happening in Winnipeg and across our province.
For our 2018 high school graduates, this summer is particularly momentous as they get ready to embark on the next chapter in their lives.
Every year in June, I offer a modest bursary to high school students throughout Saint Boniface – Saint Vital. Presented during convocation ceremonies, the Dan Vandal Youth Initiative Award aims to recognize students that have endeavoured, on a volunteer basis, to make a positive difference in their school and/or their community.
Congratulations to this year’s recipients:
- Simon Boily – Collège Louis-Riel
- Cindy Chan – Dakota Collegiate
- Talia Dacquay – Centre scolaire Léo-Rémillard
- Yashmin Duggal– Louis Riel Arts & Technology Centre
- Fatoumata Fofana – Collège Béliveau
- Petra Fontaine – Springs Christian Academy, Youville Campus
- Ashley Hunter – Glenlawn Collegiate
- Danielle Mendoza – St. Boniface Diocesan High School
- Leia Patterson – Collège Jeanne-Sauvé
- Brody Plouffe – J.H. Bruns Collegiate
- Aagnes Thomas – Nelson McIntyre Collegiate
- Kyla Tomlinson – Windsor Park Collegiate
These students have made a difference by volunteering as mentors within their schools and community; helping in community organisations like St. Boniface Hospital, St. Amant Centre and Siloam Mission; fundraising for cancer research, LGBTQ* community services, and for impoverished communities around the world. Most of them are also active in their school’s student councils!
Thank you for your many contributions to help make our communities better and best of luck to all the graduates in your chosen field of study!